Tim Westwood accused of sexual act with a 14-year-old
A woman filed allegations against Tim Westwood, former Radio 1 DJ. The said woman says they had sex several times starting from when she was 14.
According to a report by the BBC, the woman has described Westwood as a “predator”, stating that he was in his 30s at the time. She is the latest to come forward after sexual assault allegations were hauled against Westwood by multiple women, leading him to step down from his Capital Xtra radio show.
Timothy Westwood popularly known as Tim Westwood, 64, was accused of opportunistic and predatory sexual behaviour as well as instances of sexual harassment in incidents that are said to have occurred between 1992 and 2017. The accusations came to light in a joint investigation from The Guardian and BBC News, published on April 26. Westwood denies all allegations.
Seven women, all Black, narrated their ordeal to The Guardian about their alleged experiences with Westwood. They claimed to have met Westwood through his work. Some accused the DJ of abusing his power within the music industry in order to exploit women.
The alleged victims – whose names have been changed – also gave testimony as part of a new 30-minute documentary, Tim Westwood: Abuse of Power, which aired on BBC Three in April. It is available to watch now via the BBC iPlayer.
Likewise the woman that said she was 14 when she first had sex with Westwood, another has come forward to detail what she says was a “controlling” relationship when she was 16 and Westwood was in his 40s.
|Tim Westwood. CREDIT: Getty|
In response to the initial BBC documentary, a spokesperson for the DJ said: “Our client confirms that there has never been any complaint made against him, whether officially or unofficially, relating to claims of inappropriate behaviour of the nature described.”
According to the BBC they received six allegations of misconduct against Tim Westwood earlier this month, one of which was handed over to police.
This is despite the corporation’s Director General Tim Davie saying in a statement made back in April that “no evidence of complaints” had been found.
Speaking on Tuesday (July 12), Davie said claims against Westwood would be investigated and a report published within two weeks. “We have an internal audit separate to myself working to the senior independent director, Nick Serota, going through now, responding to anything that is coming into us,” he commented.
“We have no objective apart from to ensure everything is flushed out and we understand exactly what happened with regards to the BBC and also to do the right thing and [ensure] any cases are looked at.”